Winter Operations Plan Commitment
The Halifax Port Authority (HPA), Ceres Halifax Inc., (operator of Fairview Container Terminal), CN Intermodal, Maintenance & Transportation, PSA Halifax, (operator of the South End Container Terminal), and HPA as operator of Ocean and Richmond Terminals hold a number of meetings to prepare each year and to develop a plan to minimize seasonal impacts on service.
As a group we are committed to the following undertakings:
Terminal Infrastructure and Equipment:
HPA and each terminal operator have custom built salt storage bins and increased salt on-hand to ensure rail tracks can be returned to service quickly and procured/increased snow and ice removal equipment.
The HPA, Ceres Halifax Inc. and PSA Halifax spent in 2016 over $100,000 on infrastructure to raise terminal tracks, upgrade terminal gate and yard rail switches and install new drainage to prevent ice building-up.
- Joint 24/7 planning communications involving Ceres Halifax Inc. management, CN Intermodal, Maintenance & Transportation management, PSA Halifax management and HPA management.
- Joint daily monitoring of weather forecasts by Environment Canada and independent meteorologists.
- Weather forecast will drive actions by each terminal operator and CN to complete existing terminal and rail operations including adding additional labour and/or shifts and preparation for immediate recovery.
- Terminal operators, in consultation with unionized workers, have developed yard strategies for easier and more efficient plowing and snow removal to address changing operational demands based on weather conditions.
- Terminal operators and HPA will provide notification of operational hours as early as possible during events. See Special Alerts
- CN provides information to all stakeholders on how to adequately prepare for winter weather and guidance how infrastructure can be brought back into service after a weather event: cn.ca/winter
Ceres Halifax Inc., CN, PSA Halifax and HPA pledge their commitment to 24/7 communication, winter storm planning, performance tracking, immediate corrective actions, and increased transparency for the purpose of expediting rail car fluency through the Port of Halifax throughout the winter months and the entire year